Friday, October 28, 2011

Intellectual Property Rights


This video is a couple years old, but I think it is applicable to today’s discussion about intellectual property rights. The CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt, is talking about how his company looks at intellectual property rights. He is referring to Google books when it came out. He says that there should be a way for all industries to set up something like iTunes. I think this is interesting, because he was basically foreshadowing what was to come in the movie and television industry.

I am talking about the dawn of streaming online movies and television. You can now go to Netflix or Amazon instant video and watch thousands of movies. These companies jump through multiple hoops to attain the rights to stream these movies. I think that this is ridiculous; they should have a model in place that makes it easy for the consumer to access the movies. I don’t know much about Netflix, but I am an Amazon customer and I have recently started using the streaming videos. While I enjoy it, but I would like more selection. I think that the movie industry should work with both companies to make it easier for consumers to get their products. Would it really be that difficult if you factored it in from the beginning?

No comments:

Post a Comment