Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why Piracy is a Growing Problem

I have decided to talk about piracy again this week. I picked this cartoon to start with because I think this I how most of society feels about piracy. Most people do not take this problem seriously, you can tell by this cartoon. Most people feel like piracy is a joke and that no one really gets in trouble for it. Why do people fell like this is not a serious crime?

I think it goes back to the commercial I analyzed 2 weeks ago. People do not feel like they will get caught. It also has to do with the fact that there is no visible human harm when pirating something. If you were going to steal a purse from someone or even a car, you would have to at least somewhat consider who you were stealing it from. You would have to look at them as a human and then take the object. This is not the case with piracy; let’s look at music piracy for an example. If you are going to pirate a song, you don’t have to look at who you are stealing it from. I think this makes a huge difference; people are more likely to do something when no one is watching them. I think this is why piracy is becoming such a huge problem. People don’t feel like it’s wrong because there is no human connection
Sources used:

2 comments:

  1. While I was reading your blog I remembered the subject about bullying. I feel that you are right! Just like when it comes to cyber bullying when committing piracy you don't have to see or think much about people's feelings or reactions. So it seems like its fine to do it because you don't feel like their will be any consequences for your actions and plus you think no one will ever find out it was you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there's a definite disconnect between digital crimes and physical ones. Even crimes like embezzlement involve the knowledge that you're wrongly taking many from families or companies and will cause a definite negative effect. Most songs are even only a dollar or so, and it just doesn't seem like a big deal, and your having it doesn't keep other people from having it too. There's a lot of ways that piracy can be tricky, both to track and prosecute, and to make people realize the fact that it's a crime and to care.

    ReplyDelete